IELTS Speaking part 2
Describe a person who helps to protect the environment
You should say:
- Who this person is
- How this person protects the environment
- What difficulty this person has faced
And how you feel about this person
The environmentally friendly person I am going to tell you is my grandma. She is already 83 years old, but quite healthy.
The way she protects the environment is relatively simple. She insists to bring her own cloth bag to the supermarket to buy some vegetables so that she will not need the plastic bags.
About 2 years ago, she loved to use the plastic bags because they are light and convenient. However, I told her that plastic bags are almost impossible to dissolve in nature and the detrimental effects of plastics like… some plastics release chemicals in the water leading to cancer and other health issues, and more seriously, a vast majority of animals both on land or in the ocean die due to the consumption of plastic. And then… her behavior just…changed.
Everyone knows and understands the severe influences of plastic products like bags, boxes or even straws, but not everyone is willing to give up using those environmentally harmful items due to their convenience.
This is why I admire my grandma. She used to be mistaken in the past, but at the moment she learnt that plastic bags were detrimental, she totally changed. She is now quite old and face physical difficulties but she never forgets to bring her cloth bag. If more people behave like her, I believe our environmental issues will be significantly alleviated in a short time.Read More
- environmentally friendly = eco-friendly = thân thiện với mội trường
- insist = khăn khăn, nằng nặc
- are light and convenient = nhẹ và tiện lợi
- almost impossible = gần như không thể
- dissolve = giải thoát, tiêu hủy
- detrimental effects = ảnh hưởng xấu
- chemicals = hóa chất
- the consumption of = sự tiêu thụ
- behavior = hành vi, hành động
- severe influences = ảnh hưởng nghiêm trọng
- to give up = từ bỏ
- admire = ngưỡng mộ
- be mistaken = sai lầm
- face physical difficulties = đối mặt với những khó khăn
- alleviate = reduce
IELTS Speaking Part 3
Tell me about some of the environmental problems that are affecting countries these days?
I have to admit that there are a lot at the moment. Global warming is leading to severe weather change, resulting in many issues. For example, in Philippine and Japan, there seem to be far more hurricanes and tornadoes than in the past, with more devastating effects. There are constant news of serious flooding in many other countries from Asia to Europe. And in some nations where the weather is dry like Australia, forest fires also seem to be getting worse.Read More
- have to admit that = thừa nhận rằng
- severe weather = thời tiết khắc nghiệt
- result in = dẫn tới
- hurricanes and tornadoes = bão và vòi rồng
- devastating effects = ảnh hưởng ngiêm trọng
- serious flooding = lũ lớn
- forest fires = cháy rừng
- be getting worse = đang trở bên tệ hơn
Is it important to teach students environmental protection at school?
Absolutely yes, by educating our children, the next generation will better understand the importance of protecting our planet. They will know from a young age what a carbon footprint is and why it is important to keep it as low as possible. They will appreciate why recycling is key to reducing the amount of waste we produce and the quantity of natural resources we take from our planet, as well as the importance of developing and producing renewable energy.Read More
- the next generation = thế hệ tiếp theo
- appreciate = trân trọng
- natural resources = tài nguyên thiên nhiên
- renewable energy = năng lượng có thể tái chế được
What should people protect the environment?
Well… we all have to be responsible to alleviate the deterioration of the environment. As individuals, we can recycle our household waste, donate our old clothes to charity and refuse the usage of plastics. Besides, instead of driving cars or riding motorbikes, people can use public means of transport like buses to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, helping to cope with air pollution.Read More
- deterioration of the environment = sự ô nhiễm môi trường
- household waste = rác thải gia đình
- donate = từ thiện
Why do some people not consider environmental problems to be serious?
The main reason is that some people are not directly influenced on a day-to-day basis so it does not concern them. They just see it on the news affecting other people. It does not mean they do not care but they will soon forget about it. Another reason is due to the mass media that can mislead the public by putting the wrong information out. For example, oil companies have a vested interest in making sure people do not believe in global warming as it could affect their profits, so they play the issue down.Read More
- on a day-to-day basis = hang ngày
- concern = lo lắng
- the mass media = truyền thông
- a vested interest in = quyền lợi được đảm bảo
- profits = lợi nhuận
- play the issue down = làm nhẹ vấn đề