Từ vựng trích từ Essays chủ đề Education
- To preserve = to protect and keep something, usually because it is valuable for some reason
The state preserves ancient buildings because they are part of our heritage.
- Rituals = highly traditional ceremonies which have meaning for the participants
In some countries, wedding rituals continue for several days.
- Parades = organized processions in public by groups of people, usually to commemorate an event
In my home town, we have a military parade each year to mark our Independence Day.
- To transmit = to communicate a message, literal or symbolic
The monarchy transmit symbols of power through dress and ritual.
- Social memes = social habits or patterns which are transmitted between people
In Britain, punctuality is a social meme.
- Public duty = the willingness to serve the public or the state
Civil servants need a sense of public duty.
- Self-sacrifice = the willingness to suffer or die for a cause
We remember the self-sacrifice of our wartime generation each year.
- Cultural traditions = traditions carrying cultural importance
Hospitality is a great cultural tradition in Mediterranean countries.
- Mythology, myth = a classic story from the past which people know is not true but which carries meaning
There are old myths about gigantic animals in my part of the countryside.
- To evoke = to bring back memories or feelings
Our national flag evokes strong emotions whenever we see it.
- Medieval = adjective for the Middle Ages, roughly 1050 to 1400 in European history
France has some superb medieval architecture, which I saw on my gap year.
- Ceremonies = a ceremony is similar to a ritual, usually involving people in authority
The government enters office with a long ceremony at the presidential palace.
- Cultural norms = standards expected of behavior or ideas
In some countries, marriage between cousins is a cultural norm.
The fabric of society = the way that society is connected and maintained drugs and crime are damaging the fabric of society.
- To conserve = a synonym for ‘to preserve’
Conservation of old treasures is the main role of our city museum.
- To hand something down (from one generation to the next) = to pass it from parents to children and to their children etc
Cultural values have been handed down for hundreds of years, but now they are starting to
- Heritage = something inherited (= received/handed down) by one generation from the
Our countryside is part of our national heritage and we should preserve it carefully.
- Legends = similar to myths, but sometimes containing an element of reality
Robin Hood is a British legend, although most historians agree the character is based on a real person.
- Folklore = old stories and myths/legends, usually transmitted verbally
African folklore is rich in stories ofgods and monsters.
- Inheritance = a synonym for ‘heritage’
Our greatest inheritance as a nation is our independence and fighting spirit.
- Fine art = art by famous or acclaimed painters
Florence in Italy is a key destination for lover’s of fine art.
- Handicrafts = skills of making objects by hand, and also the objects themselves
Many indigenous people make a living by selling handicrafts to tourists.
- Opera = a very formal play with a musical score
La Scala is the name of a famous opera venue in Italy, which I’d like to visit.
- Shanties and dirges = very traditional songs about basic subjects
Children sometimes sing shanties at primary school.
- Linguistic = the adjective meaning ‘about language’
Linguistic skills are essential for a tour guide in the modern economy.
- Media = a way of communicating
Folklore is a very effective media for transmitting our cultural heritage.